Tuesday 30 April 2019

Art Elements Reveal - Repurposing hosted by Lesley Watt.

I keep everything although a recent allowance of the daughter into the studio meant my stash of cardboard boxes was reduced as she streamlined my 'junk' as she calls it.  Priceless pieces of something waiting to be even more priceless treasure I call it!  

For this challenge I was torn between using some reclaimed glass that I have from an old stained glass window I was given in which some of the panes of glass are missing/broken or some reclaimed yarn that I brought years ago from a lady at a boot fair.  The yarn in question was once t'shirts that she has torn into strips and redyed to be one colour.  It is still waiting in the big box of yarn for another day as is the reclaimed glass.  


I have said before that my first love has always been drawing and paper and I have A LOT of paper, some old scraps from other projects, some cards from birthdays I couldn't throw away, wrapping paper, old calendars with pretty pictures on....  I keep the lot - and hide that box from my daughter! 


Old envelopes that have lost their cards for reasons only they know.  Make up sponges from years ago when I tried being a proper lady (top photo).....


cut up expensive watercolour paper that I painted on and didn't like and small treasures that have been gifted to me like the one in the photo above which I used in this challenge and 


this myraid of treasure that has accumulated over the years.


I decided I would make paper dolls.  I like paper dolls and I have recently been reading about art dolls, I even brought a book on Dada dolls which both enthralled me and shocked me.  The definition of doll is definitely out there for interpretation!  


In one of the above photos you can see that I sat down one evening and drew some heads.  I didn't have an idea for the bodies other than I wanted to use discarded bits and bobs I had in my varied collections.  This 'cat doll' is made from one of that discarded envelopes and you could easily use an envelope that had been through the mail system - actually that one would be fun and you could use the stamps and have a travelling paper doll!  


An old piece of card became the back of the skirt, a cheap metal costume jewellery ring was stretched out and became the skirt band that holds the pretty floaty folds of cut off material strips.  A bit of old lace and she is done.  All the paper dolls are articulated so her head and arms move. 


Next up is the doll that sparked the idea of the challenge as she holds the special treasure piece as part of her body - close up photo below. 


Jenny from the team gifted me this pendant some time ago and something about it really appeals to me.  It does have two sides to it but I love this side.  It says 'reflections of nature' and that is what inspired her 'theme'


Her legs are from an old calendar that is decorated with pretty flowers, her bodice is the same pretty flowers but a scrap of fabric.  The russet coloured back of her skirt is from a swatch of material that was used in some packaging in a parcel I received from Nicky in the team from our Secret Santa at Christmas.  The golden lattice style leaves I have had for so long I think they have their own air miles as they have travelled from house to house with me for well over a decade, they made the perfect 'front' of the skirt and the green leaves are cut from that expensive discarded paper painting.


But I wasn't finished.  I have these spoons that were gifted to me a few years ago as they reminded me of my Grandmother and I love them.  They are Apostle spoons and have been in a drawer as I won't use them for their intended purpose, we have normal spoons for that!  Her face is a ceramic cabochon from Lesley of the team which I stuck down with some of that makeup sponge above as I need to fill the spoon space.  Her hair is some bits of fleece.


Another saved treasure is this tile, again gifted from Jenny many moons ago.  The yellow silk scrap was in a swop with Nicky  - the middle bit that I cut out to go over the spoon body is the flower in the hair of the cat envelope paper doll, nothing was wasted in this challenge!  The green ribbon was from a birthday gift I received last month.


Below is all the dolls altogether.  I had a lot of fun creating these dolls.  They are not gallery worthy pieces but they used up pieces that would normally have been discarded, laying at the bottom of a box forgotten, gathering dust or at the back of a cupboard languishing unloved.


This piece I haven't quite finished, it needs a frame and I have an idea of how to construct it but haven't had the time to do that.  This was an old tobacco tin that I have had for 'ever'.  I think it belonged to my son and I stole it for some purpose many years ago.  I wanted to create a diorama in it, which wasn't easy as it isn't very big.  I quite like where it is going but it does need a 'finish' to it.




The one other thing I have recycled this month is this cushion - not the cat that is Freddy Bear a recycled feral turned house dweller.  My husband brought me as a surprise a V pillow as I like to read before I go to sleep at night and often complained I wasn't comfortable enough - I can read for hours and forget time if I am totally engrossed.  Sewing isn't one of my skills although this last winter I was on my own for a few months whilst the husband worked away so I 'borrowed' my daughter's sewing machine that was in turn gathering dust in her wardrobe through lack of use and taught myself to sew.



I rummaged through our little stash of materials that I have carted about from house to house and found at the bottom of this box this lovely bright orange and yellow thick fabric that I once tried to make blinds for my daughter's bedroom in the old house.  I failed, obviously but I kept the material.  I made myself a rough pattern with paper and covered my V pillow I even had to join parts of the fabric together to get enough width.  Freddy Bear is modelling the pillow for me so you don't see that I did make it a little too big on the apex of the V so it is a little baggy but he takes the eye away from that mistake.  I can highly recommend V pillows for reading in bed, it is so comfortable!  


Below is the list of the others that have taken part in this month's challenge.


19 comments:

  1. Laney your dolls are just adorable and I suspect they were a huge amount of fun to make...they really take me back to mu childhood with paper dolls. Many thanks for joining us in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is something about paper dolls that fascinates me, it was nice to do the challenge and just have fun :D

      Delete
  2. Great dolls, Laney! I used to love getting the McCall's magazine from my grandmother and getting the paper dolls out of them! That's a way-back memory! Love your v-pillow as well - I'll have to check into that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have challenged myself to make lots of paper dolls this year, I just enjoy it and they come in so many shapes and sizes, articulated, static... V pillows are AWESOME! the only negative I have is that I am so comfortable when I start to feel tired and think of turning off the light I am amazed to see the clock reading well past midnight!

      Delete
  3. I love paper dolls. I just found some that are unopened and had been in my attic for years. I love the idea of creating my own. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see those if you are willing to send me a message either through FB or my emails.. I love vintage looking paper dolls.. (laneymead@yahoo.co.uk... just in case you are willing ;) )

      Delete
  4. Laney, your paper dolls are exquisite! And each is a veritable tribute to family, friends and memorable experiences. Such a great use of materials!
    BOO for daughters who come in and take liberties with our 'things'. Mine did it after I had come here to Momcare, so that was really upsetting. I forgave her of course, but will never forget!! Alysen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughters eh? and to think she has so many clothes and shoes that she 'stores' for future events! Glad you like the dolls, they really are fun to do and using alternative objects really did keep me amused :D

      Delete
  5. Your dolls are fabulous, and I love that they tell a story with each of their components... I really like the shadow box too. I think it's lovely just as it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I like shadow box ideas and have collected.. um.. a few objects to do :P

      Delete
  6. Oh, you were able to create so many fun pieces. I really love that your paper dolls incorporate so many memorable pieces in such a small space They're fantastic! And, your little tobacco tin is just too cute. As for your sewing skills, they look great to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you! I can manage straight lines with the machine but anything technical is still waiting to be learnt!

      Delete
  7. All your paper dolls are fabulous! I love the spoon doll! It looks like so much fun to make, incorporating all the different pieces collected through the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spoon doll has a voodoo type feel to it but I quite like it. I have got a little bit intrigued with Dada dolls and interpretations of the doll in art... I have found some wacky dolls to look at! Glad you like it though, it just needs a stand!

      Delete
  8. I just love your paper dolls! They make me smile and bring back such fond memories when I played with paper dolls for hours. The spoon doll is so clever and I love that also but the cat paper doll is my favorite. And I can't wait to see the diorama finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember making dolls as a kid but when I tried it as an adult (a couple of years back) I failed. I guess we need to become childlike and less loose to make dolls

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dolls are so whimsical and have much character, Laney - fantastic job using components with all the associated memories! The pillow cover looks bright and inviting - perfect to curl up on with a book! (I'll need to get myself one of these for night-time - or even lazy-day-time - reading.) As for the tobacco tin project, I'm sure you'll find the perfect way to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dolls are so fun to look at and I bet a blast to make as well. Chloe used to play with paper dolls for HOURS! She sometimes made her own to supplement the ones that came in her book, but she really loved those things. I'm going to have to google V pillow as I don't understand how it works. But I do love the fabric you used and your sewing skills are better than mine. How does that make you feel? LOL! I have some Altoids tins laying around that I wanted to do something with, but still haven't. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember those dolls with moving body parts from my childhood, we even used them as puppets! The spoon lady is quite a character, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogging world :)